Sunday, February 20, 2011

Buddha Buddha Buddha Buddha Rockin' Everywhere

Note: This post should have been posted last week, but due to technical difficulties and travel that didn't happen.  The Wednesday I start off with is February 9.  And unfortunately the upload speed is KILLING me right now, so pictures will follow soon.

Wednesday night has officially become ladies night.  There's a club here, Narcissus aka Narz, that gives 5 free drinks to girls every Wednesday and it's sort of becoming a weekly tradition.  One of the girls from Escade had friends visiting so they joined too and it seemed like everyone came out for ladies night, which always makes it more fun.  Problem is, Thursday rolls around and everyone's too exhausted to do anything, so the traditional party night has become a bit of a rest night for the Thammasat kids.

Friday, I went to visit the Reclining Buddha (temple: Wat Pho).  For those of you that weren't aware, Thailand is intensely Buddhist.  For those of you that did, nice job!  What this means is there are A TON of temples all around Bangkok.  I walk through one to get to school.  Anyway, Wat Pho is pretty sweet, and the pictures are below.  I was a little bummed when the guy at the gate wouldn't accept my student ID for an entry discount.  Usually Thammasat students get discounts everywhere but for some reason he just wouldn't accept my ID.  Oh well.

Let me distract you for a moment by attempting to draw a rough map of my path to get to Wat Pho.

Amarin Mansion (where I live)


                                  Ferry to get to school             River                Thammasat
            
                                                                                                          Amulet Market
                                                                                                                          Grand Palace

                                                                                                                           Wat Pho

To get there, you have to walk through the Amulet Market, which is right by my school.  It's pretty cool seeing all of these amulets laid out in front of you, even though I have no clue what any of their significances are.  You also have to walk past the Grand Palace to get to Wat Pho.  I have yet to go there but it looks awesome from the outside.  The King used to live there but moved to a different palace that he liked better.  Oh the life.

I also bought some postcards for you folks back home, but lost them, obviously.  So all of you will just have to wait a little longer.

On Saturday, I went back to JJ Market again (the weekend market that is 35 acres large) and exhausted myself by walking around all day.  "Why alone?" you ask.  Well, a bunch of people went to Ko Samet this weekend. It's an island halfway to Ko Chang, and I opted out of going because I didn't want to experience the same thing twice.  So I was a lone warrior this weekend walking in circles in JJ Market.  It really needs to be an all day adventure.  I was able to pick up some gifts for people back home, so at least I was a little productive.

Productivity is so hard here.  Thai time means everyone's a minimum of ten minutes late--always.  And everyone here is so patient, it can sometimes turn into laziness.  I didn't get it done today?  Okay.  I'll do it tomorrow; which turns into the next day, and the next.  I absolutely love it because I feel America is just too insane about being on time and being productive.  It's okay if you relax every once in a while.  And honestly, it's okay if you don't want to go into the work force at the ripe age of 21.  Why waste your youth slaving away in Corporate America?  The Eagles say Take It Easy and they so have it right.  Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'm still going to get a job after college.  But the whole America guilt trip that if you don't work had your whole life you're an awful person totally doesn't work on me.

And if you were concerned about me immersing myself in Thai culture, don't be.  I'm totally embracing the Thai lifestyle.  Sunday I slept all day and watched Disney movies.  It is amazing how similar the first couple are.  Cinderella, Aurora, and Snow White all have this weird thing with animals and are fair and make great maidens.  The movie starts out with the story being read from a fairy tale book and there are only a few songs in the whole film.  Then you get into the 80s and 90s and they get more sassy and more musical.  I love seeing the feminist movement manifested in Disney princess movies.

This weekend I'm embarking for Koh Phangnan, my first southern island.  Two people from USC that are studying in Hong Kong will be there too and I am SO EXCITED!  Beaches, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment