Thursday, February 24, 2011

THE CLAP

No, it's not herpes, it's Eric Clapton!  Last Wednesday a group of us Amarin kids went to go see Eric Clapton at the Impact Arena.  I paid 1000 THB (~$33) for seats that would have cost two hundred dollars easy in the US.  It was a blast to see one of the greatest guitar players of all time, not to mention the guitarist on one of the greatest Beatles songs of all time (While My Guitar Gently Weeps) live in a country so far from home.

As ashamed to admit this as I am, I missed Layla.  I know it's unforgivable.  I was screaming the back story to everyone after the concert was over.  For those of you unaware of the twisted tale this song weaves, let me spill it out for you.

Patty Boyd was George Harrison's wife.  According to Patty Boyd, she inspired Something.  Who wants to be her already?  Well, this is where things get twisted.  George Harrison and Eric Clapton were besties.  Eric Clapton was also in love with Patty Boyd, so much so that he dated her sister because he couldn't date her.  Well, by the time Layla was written, Patty and George had split (so sad!) and THE CLAP and Patty Boyd's sister were still together.  For some reason the Clap just couldn't snag Patty and he wrote Layla out of frustration/as a call to her/whatever.  Patty Boyd's sister heard this and dumped him because she knew who The Clap really loved.  Then Patty and The Clap got together and all's well that end's well.  Well, not really but we'll leave the story at the happy part.

Anyway, the next day we traveled down to my first island Koh Phangnan.  Oh. My. Goodness.  This place made me feel like I was on LOST.  Palm trees everywhere.  Winding, hilly roads.  It was great.  We stayed on the Northern part of the island and beached it for the weekend.

Here I was also reunited with JP and Mario!  USC connections in southeast asia are the coolest.  It was great seeing them and having someone to talk to that had known me for years.  I love the people in my program but familiar is always comforting.

Anyway, on Sunday we traveled back to Bangkok where I actually had to be a student for the first time. Presentation on Monday and Wednesday caused me to stay up late a few nights.

Then, on Wednesday I flew back to my favorite city in the WHOLE world, Hong Kong.  I'm staying with JP.  He crafted this genius student ID for me to get into his dorm.  Pictures soon to come.

We've been eating like kings since we got here and I am in heaven.  We went to the cheapest Michelin Star restaurant in the world and enjoyed the BEST dim sum.  Oh my goodness if I could communicate the deliciousness of this place I would.  I don't think words do it justice.

Then yesterday night I got Mexican food!  Like actual Mexican food!  I miss it so much!  The boys today had trouble keeping up with my ridiculous eating abilities and even had to buy anti-acid pills after dinner.  I am officially the master of food.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but now you're all caught up.  Pictures will follow soon, and from now on I promise to put them all in the same post.

Now, let the eating adventures continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment