Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cheesetatsitc

So at the outpost of this blog I promised myself that I wouldn't put any personal, boring, politcal, blah blah blah stuff on my blog.  Mainly because people don't want opinions they want happenings and info. on the culture at hand.  I'm about to pseudo break that promise and share my total and absolute excitement about going to Vietnam.  So, if you don't want the cheese, then here's your disclaimer.

I know I touched upon it in the last post, but I don't think I did it justice.  I AM SO EXCITED TO GO TO VIETNAM.  Vietnam is a place I grew up hearing about.  It was the first televised war, where the American people got to see men in action and the actual happenings that were occurring overseas.  I don't think images have been so jarring since the Civil War, when Americans fought against Americans--the last war the US has experienced on its own territory.

I grew up hearing about Vietnam, in fact it's one of the few "contemporary" American issues the AP US History tests on.  And I get to go there.  I am so fortunate that I get to experience a place that an entire generation was exposed to and hoped to come home from.  The Vietnam War is definitely still a touchy subject in America today, and it will probably remain so for many years to come.  But this country, whether or not we agree with the war or not, was experienced by a large portion of our population and that should not be forgotten.

I'm not a huge planner.  In fact I really don't like the anxiety that comes with it, but I told the girls I'm traveling with that I absolutely must go to a Vietnam War museum while I'm there (most likely in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)).  Learning the viewpoint of our "enemy" seems very important to me, because that's how you learn--form the opinions of others who don't necessarily agree with you.

I'll definitely keep you all updated on my travels, but I wanted to post this purely to share my excitement.  This is a country I've heard about over and over again in American media, and now I get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment