Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Monkeys Are Taking Over the City!


This past weekend I went to Lopburi.  It's a town a couple hours north of Bangkok where monkeys actually rule the city.  They run around town like stray animals, swinging from electric lines and jumping down to steal from unexpected passersby.  There was a lady there selling corn to feed to the monkeys.  Those who were unwise enough to do so became new climbing poles for the monkeys.
Monkeys have definitely been here.


Just swinging from telephone wires, NBD.
Man turned into monkey climbing pole.
We got in around noon on Friday and just wandered around the city, looking at the different ruins.  It's kind of cool because you're allowed to climb on top of them which gave the whole trip a more experiential feel. I get that you're supposed to preserve things, but I'm not going to lie, I liked climbing up the giant towers.  This city seems to have just built itself around these ancient ruins.  It's very cool to be exposed to these stone buildings that are so old, since the oldest things in the US are max, 400 years old.


Nature hasn't been very nice to Buddha.

It was nice to get away and break up the week in Bangkok.  It's midterm week now so I have to be an actual student and study.  I only have one on Sunday so it's a relatively easy situation.  However, I did have a couple projects due two weeks ago so I see my lack of formal tests as totally fair.

I did break up the week of inactivity by venturing back to Chinatown and exploring for dim sum.  I had a craving and man was it satisfied.  I tried dim sum at two places, and though they both had nothing on Tim Ho Wan, they were still pretty tasty.

I leave for Vietnam on the morning of the 17th.  We're doing a 10 day trip and stopping in Cambodia on the way home.  I'm excited to see Angkor Wat because I love ruins.  Visiting Chichen Itza my senior year of high school made Cancun one of the best family vacations the Orrs have ever had.  Unfortunately, Angkor Wat doesn't make it onto a couple Seven Wonders of the Modern World like Chichen Itza, but Im still stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment