Tuesday, May 24, 2011

California Love

There's a reason why so many songs are written about California.  It's the greatest place to live in the whole entire world and I return there tonight!  I leave Thailand at 7:30 pm May 25, 2011 and I arrive in LA at 9:35 pm May 25, 2011.  Point: time change

I flew from Bali into Bangkok yesterday and enjoyed a flight that is the quarter of the length of my flight tonight.  Caught a cab and made my way back to Amarin Mansion where I spent the night and got to say goodbye to some of the amazing people I've met on exchange.  I also ate at Tom Yum Lady's for the last time.  I will miss her soup, so much.

I also packed up all my stuff from my Island/Bali trip.  Yikes.  Both my suitcases are a couple kilos over the weight limit for my class but not the maximum weight limit, so I'm hoping I can get away with it without overage fees.  Crossing my fingers for some of that Thai generosity and "mai pen rai" philosophy.

My time in Bangkok has been amazing.  I love Thailand and suggest that EVERYONE make it a priority to see this wonderful country.  The culture here is fascinating and it really affects you.  I haven't lost my temper once this whole semester, simply because it's not the Thai way.

I will always be so, so, so happy and grateful that I decided to go on exchange.  I didn't go away from home for college, so experiencing something so new and different has been thrilling.  Being away has also helped me appreciate my home and where I'm from so much more.

To conclude this travel blog about my adventures in Thailand, I must recap some of my favorite places that I visited.  I enjoyed all of my trips, really, but these few stand out.

Angkor Wat


Ubud, Bali


Patara Elephant Farm


Vang Vieng
(sadly, no pictures)

All of the islands: Koh Chang, Koh Phangnan, Railay Beach, and Koh Phi Phi Don/Lei






I've also learned more than I could ever list, but I have compiled a few points to leave you with.

Europeans party harder and smarter than any other culture.
French is the new universal language, not English.
The world's best pad thai can be got for less than 1 USD.
Tom Yum Kung is a magical soup, curing hangover, illness, and hunger.
My soulmate is, in fact, Italian.
Only Southern Californians know what real Mexican food is.
In Europe, being in college at the age of 23 is not only acceptable, but normal.
You can sunburn your hair.
Thai people are the friendliest form of Asians.
Belgian people think Kone is an acceptable name (pronounced like the derogatory term).
No matter where you go in the world, there are always people less fortunate than the least fortunate.
Laos is communist.
France may have had a greater international impact than Great Britain.
Thailand currency: Baht; Vietnam currency: Dong; Cambodia currency: Riel; Laos currency: Kip; Indonesia currency: Rupiah
There's more to Canada than just increased book prices and a better view of the Falls, but barely.
There are more Buddhist temples in the city of Bangkok than Mormon temples in the whole state of Utah (not a fact, just my assumption).
How to recognize a tropical storm 5 minutes or less before it's start. 1) There will be a giant, black cloud of death above you or really close by.  2) The wind will have increased exponentially from moments before.  3) Your animalistic instinct tells you to bolt.
Skägg is the Swedish word for beard.  It's pronounced nothing like how it's spelled and is impossible to say.
"And me, I still believe in Paradise.  But now at least, I know it's not some place you can look for.  Because it's not where you go, it's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're a part of something, and if you find that moment - it lasts forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment