Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mai Pen Rai

Mai pen rai is the Thai phrase for "don't worry, be happy" and it has never been more true than in the southern islands.  They're beautiful, relaxed, and serene.

We left for Railay Beach which is near the coast of Krabi on the morning of Thursday May 12.  We got there and were greeted by the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.  We found a place to stay, which was very nice, and headed straight for the nearest body of water, our pool.  We enjoyed two nights out together and the fact that drinks come in bucket size was my mortal enemy.

Railay Beach
After a few days of sun and sand and maybe a few sunburns later we headed for Koh Phi Phi.  Koh Phi Phi is the most famous of the southern islands.  It's notoriously beautiful and it did not disappoint.  We spent our first afternoon on Long Beach (not Snoopp's hometown).  Every night on the trip we had what I like to think of as family dinners.  We shared meals and stories and enjoyed each other's company for the last few days we had together.  One of our lunches we ate at Ciao Bella so I had the Italian exchange student order for me and she got me Thaitella (spelling?) Bolognaise.  Delicious.  Seriously, try it if you get the chance.

Koh Phi Phi Don beach opposite the pier.

Distance between Koh Phi Phi Don and Lei
Koh Phi Phi Lei from Long Beach. 
On my third day in Koh Phi Phi our group rented out a private speed boat to tour Koh Phi Phi Lei.  Koh Phi Phi Don is the main island that everyone stays on and is the larger of the sister islands.  Koh Phi Phi Lei has no places to stay and is the island made famous in the film The Beach.  Koh Phi Phi Lei is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.  Maya Bay is the beach from The Beach and I was amazed by that, but my favorite place was this lagoon like place our boat driver took us.  He had to navigate through about 50 feet of shallow water to a deeper place that was surrounded by the most beautiful rock.



Maya Bay
On our way into the "lagoon" 

The deeper part of the lagoon.
Today, Tuesday May 17, I arrived in Phuket.  It's an island but doesn't have the Koh in front of it because it's so large it's almost impossible to believe you're on an island.  I"m definitely underwhelmed by Phuket so far.  We're only here for the night and then on to Bali for last adventure before coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment