Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Asia, I've Missed You

Let me first calm your fears and inform you all that I have arrived safely and have a place to stay.  Now that that's out of the way, let me tell you about my adventure.


I knew I had made the right decision and that this would be an excellent trip when I walked on the plane and it was entirely purple.  I'm not kidding: the flight attendants, the carpet, the seats, everything.  Purple.  


The plane ride went rather smoothly with an excellent choice of movies.  Thai Airways really knows how to treat their customers.  I got three meals over 17 hours and got to watch Never Let Me Go; Eat, Pray, Love; Troy; and the first scene in The Social Network.  Can I also just say I don't get people who didn't like Eat, Pray, Love.  What's not to like?  It's about a woman falling in love with her food (obviously I can relate) and finding her independence.  


Anyway, back to my international adventure, when the hard parts really start to begin.  I'm not kidding the most terrified I was for this entire trip was getting a taxi to take me to where I'm staying.  I was so paranoid I printed out an address with directions in both languages and a map Amarin Mansion (amarinmansion.com) provides on their website.  All three of these things turned out to be very helpful since the cab driver had to stop twice to figure out where we were going.  


Driving through the city was definitely an adventure.  Road signs and lanes seem to be simply a guideline to pedestrians and drivers.  But the city seems amazing.  From the little I saw from the cab ride I was completely hooked.  I'm not usually a detail oriented person, but the subtle differences and little things fascinated me.


In terms of today I've done pretty much nothing eventful.  I missed the first day of orientation because of my arrival time, so I've had the day to ponder, sleep, and get chicken nuggets and french fries delivered to my room for 2.50 USD.  Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to love this place.


Pictures to come next time, I promise.

4 comments:

  1. Directions in both languages...you weren't kidding!
    Stoked for ya! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Eat, Pray Love, too sista......but then again I have a bias towards Julia Roberts....She could video tape herself shitting in a pot and I'd pay money to watch it.

    Glad the taxi ride worked out for you! Pictures next time :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this service that delivers food, and when can I come visit you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT TO VISIT. PS, it kind of scares me that you won't be there to coach me through my life mistakes and everything else this semester. love you!

    ReplyDelete